How Does Orthodontics Work?
Orthodontics has been around longer than you might think; the first use of ortho was in the early 1800s! While the materials and patient comforts have improved, the strategy is the same. Orthodontics treatment places pressure on your teeth to force your jawbone to reshape around the tooth root’s new position. This works well because the jawbone is fluid as far as bones go. The fact that this orthodontic theory has been around for so long should tell you that the theory is solid and that it has worked on thousands of teeth before yours.
Traditional braces use wires and brackets to reshape your teeth. Brackets are temporarily glued to the front of your teeth which hold a bent wire. The wire places constant pressure on your teeth, causing them to move. You’ll come to the office every few weeks so we can adjust the wire.
Imperfections Braces Can Fix
Traditional braces are the best at fixing almost any issue concerning the placement of teeth. Other solutions, such as Invisalign, can’t correct severe orthodontic problems and aren’t suited for even some minor issues. Traditional braces can correct:
- Crooked Teeth: Crooked teeth are those that aren’t perfectly in line.
- Gapped Teeth: Gapped teeth are when you have space between some of your teeth.
- Rotated Teeth: Rotated teeth are when the side of your tooth faces forward instead of the front.
- Crowded Teeth: Crowded teeth overlap each other.
- Bite Issues: Many bite issues cause problems with tooth function and the appearance of your profile.
- Overbite: An overbite is when your top teeth protrude over your bottom teeth.
- Underbite: An underbite is when your bottom teeth protrude over your top teeth. The opposite of an overbite.
- Crossbite: A crossbite is when your teeth don’t line up properly when your mouth is closed.
- Open Bite: An open bite is when your front teeth don’t meet when your mouth is closed.
- Canted midline: A canted midline is when the middle of your front teeth doesn’t align with the middle of your face.
- Protrusion: A protrusion is when your top front teeth are angled out over your bottom teeth instead of straight down.
Why It’s Important to Straighten Your Teeth
Many people choose to straighten their teeth in Palmetto Bay for looks, but there are other reasons why it’s important to have straight teeth. When your teeth aren’t straight, it’s harder to chew your food which may cause you to use your jaw abnormally. Abnormal jaw movements can cause soreness and, in some cases, a larger TMJ disorder issues down the road.
Straight teeth protect your teeth from wear, tear, chips, and cracks. When your teeth aren’t lined up, it’s easier to get them caught and cause tooth trauma. Straight, lined-up teeth are a defense against more dental work. Straight teeth are also easier to clean, so they guard against gum disease and tooth decay. Speech problems such as lisps can also go away when you straighten your teeth in Palmetto Bay.
Traditional Braces Benefits
While traditional braces use brackets and wires to straighten teeth, they provide numerous benefits that are often overlooked when compared to other types of braces.
- Improve speech problems – Speech issues usually come with severely crooked teeth or severe bite issues, which only traditional braces can correct.
- Periodontal problems – Gum disease hides in small, hard-to-reach places. The more severe your crookedness, the more likely you will develop gum disease.
- Chewing issues – Likewise, the more severe the crookedness, the harder chewing will be. In many cases, traditional braces are the only option to fix severe issues like this.
- Self-esteem – Traditional braces increase your self-esteem as your teeth become straight and beautiful.
- Close gaps and severe crookedness quickly – Since traditional braces are stronger than clear aligners, they work more quickly to correct moderate to severe gaps and crookedness.
- Can handle more complex issues – Complex issues need traditional braces to correct them.
- Less expensive – Traditional braces are typically less expensive than clear aligners.
Are you ready to straighten your teeth in Palmetto Bay? Call (305) 253-7670 or schedule an appointment online.
Clear Braces Benefits
Luxe Smiles in Palmetto Bay offers traditional braces with a twist—clear braces! They still use wires and brackets, but the “hardware” is tooth-colored or clear, so they blend in with your teeth during treatment. Clear braces are a great option for those who want to straighten their smiles in Palmetto Bay discreetly.
Clear braces offer all the benefits of traditional braces as well as a few others:
- Braces blend in with your teeth.
- Increased confidence during treatment.
- You can still be in photos without hiding your smile.
- You’ll feel confident speaking or leading meetings at work because your braces aren’t visible.
Are you ready to change your life and get clear braces? Call (305) 253-7670 or make an appointment online.
Straighten Your Teeth in Palmetto Bay with Orthodontics
Are you ready to achieve the smile of your dreams and increase your oral health with one treatment? Straighten your teeth with traditional braces or clear braces in Palmetto Bay. Call (305) 253-7670 or make an appointment online.