What is General and Preventative Dentistry?
General and preventative dentistry are focused on diagnosing, treating, and managing your overall oral health. General dentists perform preventative services such as cleanings and fluoride treatments, diagnosis services such as oral exams, and treatments such as gum disease treatment, oral surgery, dentures, and more.
Your Miami general dentists, Dr. Naranjo and Dr. Testar focus on preventative and general dentistry because they know that your best self has your natural teeth. That’s why our first thought, whenever there is an issue, is, “how can we save this tooth/teeth?” At Luxe Smiles, we do everything we can to keep your natural smile beautiful and healthy before we would recommend any type of restorative or cosmetic service. We are dedicated to keeping you and your family’s smiles beautiful, healthy, and functional.
Your Twice Yearly Cleaning and Oral Exam
Part of general and preventative dentistry is your twice-yearly cleaning and oral exam.
Plaque and tartar build up on your teeth despite rigorous brushing because sometimes, there are areas that only a dentist can clean thoroughly. During your cleaning, we remove plaque before it can turn into tartar, but if there is tartar, we’ll remove that too. Plaque is a sticky white substance that builds up on your teeth throughout the day and night. It houses bacteria, and if it’s not removed, it’ll turn into tartar—a hard shell of bacteria that only your Miami dentist can remove. If your tartar is not removed, it can turn into gum disease and tooth decay, which leads to more complicated, whole-body problems.
While your cleaning is essential, the oral exam is the star of the show. During your oral exam, your Miami dentist will examine your mouth for signs of tooth decay, cavities, gum disease, oral cancer, sores, lacerations, and any other damage inside your mouth. Dentists have the unique ability to catch issues before they become larger problems. That’s why it’s so important to keep to your schedule of a twice-yearly cleaning and oral exam.
Tips for a Healthy Mouth
The health of your mouth and teeth takes a partnership between you and your Miami dentist. We’ll do our part to clean and examine your mouth, but you’ll need to take care of the preventative dentistry at home. That means having good oral hygiene. With good oral hygiene, you can avoid tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease. Here are some tips for a healthy mouth.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a non-abrasive toothbrush.
- Brush your teeth 30 minutes after eating or drinking anything with a dark color or very sugary or very acidic.
- Floss between your teeth twice per day to remove any bacteria between your teeth. If you don’t want to use traditional flossing methods, feel free to experiment with other types of flossing, such as water flossing.
- Use mouthwash once a day to kill bacteria that could lead to gum disease.
- Drink plenty of water! Staying hydrated is essential to the health of your mouth. A dry and dehydrated mouth is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and unwanted odors.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet with plenty of vegetables. Vitamins, minerals, and nutrients from your food help to stave off gum disease and tooth decay. They also support your gum tissue and tooth enamel.
- Do not use tobacco products.
- Be proactive about dental care and follow your general dentist’s recommendations if you have diabetes or another illness that impacts your teeth and mouth.
Family Dentistry Services
- Cleanings and Exams
- Gum Disease Treatment
- Oral Surgery
- Dental Crowns and Fillings
- Dental Sealants
- Flouride Treatments
Get Family Dentistry Services in Miami
If you or a loved one needs some general and preventative dentistry services, call (305) 253-7670 or make an appointment online. Our skilled dentists and staff welcome you to Luxe Smiles.